Killarney National Park was Ireland’s first national park. It was created in 1932 when the Mucross Estate was donated to the Irish Free State. The Muckross Estate had several owners. In the early 20th century it was purchased from the Guinness family by a wealthy Californian William Bowers Bourne. He gave it to his daughter as a wedding present, but when she died shortly after the marriage the estate was given to the Irish people by her husband and his family.
Today the park is maintained by the National Parks and Wildlife Service. It has been designated a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.